How to register and enter an API key
API-ACCESS IS NO LONGER WORKING
Google disabled the API-access for all CMarks users (and *only* CMarks users) within a week of the release.
Don't bother following the instructions below - it won't work for a single person.
This registration process can be done in less than five minutes.
- You only need to register once, but you'll need to read back the values each time you key them back into CMarks.
- The keys are linked to the email address you sign in and sync with - if you use the same email address on multiple devices then you can happily use the same keys on all of those devices. If you use different accounts then you'll need to register for each one and enter the keys as required.
- Google gives everyone a courtesy (!) limit of 100 syncs per day. This number may change at Google's discretion, though it's unlikely as it might then impact the actual developers of Chrome. So if you use this app on several devices and sync a lot, it's possible you may get some errors after the 100th sync that day.
1. You need to register as a Chrome developer. Goto https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/chromium-dev
2. Near the top of the screen, click on "Join group to post". If you are using the mobile interface (which doesn't look like this!) then click on the icon of the person (a head on shoulders) on the right side of the blue strip across the top of the group.
3. In the popup window, change the drop down in the middle to state "Don't send email updates". Ensure the email address shown is the right email (if you have multiple aliases for your google account then you can choose different ones, but you want the same as the one you use in Chrome). Then click on "Join this group"
4. You are now a member of the Chrome developers group! You can close that window now.
5. Now goto https://code.google.com/apis/console/
6. If you've already registered for an API key, choose the project from the drop down menu in the top left corner, then select the API Access entry and then goto point 14.
7. Click on the drop down in top left corner and choose "Create..."
8. In the popup that appears, enter a name for the project - for example, "cmarks access". Then click on "Create Project" button.
9. You'll get a list of Services that can be registered. Scroll down to the "Chrome Sync API" entry and click the ON/OFF button to the ON state to activate it.
10. In the left hand menu, click on "API Access".
11. Click on the big "Create an OAuth 2.0 client ID..." button.
12. In the popup window, enter a name of anything you like and click on the Next button. You don't need to touch anything else.
13. In the pop window, click on "Installed Application" and then click on "Create Client ID". Do not touch anything else.
14. You need to make a note of the details listed under Client ID, Client Secret and API key.